Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Blog 195: The Graveyard Book Graphic Novel Volume 1

Synopsis of the book from Goodreads
It Takes a Graveyard to Raise a Child.

Nobody Owens, known as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised by ghosts, with a guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor the dead.

There are adventures in the graveyard for a boy—an ancient Indigo Man, a gateway to the abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible Sleer. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, he will be in danger from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family.

Each chapter in this adaptation by P. Craig Russell is illustrated by a different luminary from the comic book world, showcasing a variety of styles from a breadth of talent. Together, they bring Neil Gaiman's award-winning, nationally bestselling novel The Graveyard Book to new life in this gorgeously illustrated two-volume graphic novel adaptation.

Volume One contains Chapter One through the Interlude, while Volume Two includes Chapter Six to the end.

My Review:
Cover: I liked the cover. It gave off the vibe of the Graphic Novel, but also a little mystery as well. (I have not read the physical book that this came from)

Things that I liked: I did enjoy all of the colors throughout the Graphic novel. I thought that they suited the storyline just fine. I enjoyed seeing the dialogue between the child and the ghosts and the vampire, Silas. I'm guessing that is what he is. It does make me curious about the boy and why this family was supposed to be kill in their entirety. I will have to read the book to see if there are any flashbacks and/or back story about this. I enjoyed the set up of the book. 

Things that I didn't like: I don't really have any complaints. My only complaint is that I didn't read the book before reading this graphic novel.

Overall: I rated this book a 4 out of 5 stars. It was a really good and quick read. I look forward to reading the second volume.



Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading!

No comments: