Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Blog 180: The Austere Academy

Synopsis of the Book (from Goodreads)
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are at first optimistic--attending school is a welcome change for the book-loving trio, and the academy is allegedly safe from the dreaded Count Olaf, who is after their fortune.

Dear Reader, 

If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire arc intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they would do very well at school. Don't. For the Baudelaires, school turns out to be another miserable episode in their unlucky lives. 

Truth be told, within the chapters that make up this dreadful story, the children will face snapping crabs, strict punishments, dripping fungus, comprehensive exams, violin recitals, S.O.R.E., and the metric system. 

It is my solemn duty to stay up all night researching and writing the history of these three hapless youngsters, but you may be more comfortable getting a good night's sleep. In that case, you should probably choose some other book. 

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

My Review
For this book I tried something a little different. I tried reading the book while listening to it with an audio book format. I must admit I think I like this method of reading. While I can't do or won't do this with every book I read, I do like that I will be able to do this with several different books. 

Things that I liked: I do like that the book picks up where book four left off. I also like that the children has never been separated and are going through these terrible times together. I do like that they were set in a school environment this time to show that school isn't always as friendly as it seems. However, I did enjoy that the children were able to make friends while they were at the school and they were able to get help to defeat Count Olaf this time around. Even if (spoiler alert) he does manage to get away in the end. 

Things that I didn't like: I can't really think of anything. the occasion defining words throughout the book still bothers me but it doesn't bother me as much as it did.

Overall: I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars and would recommend it to my friends looking for a quick read.


Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading!


Peace and Love to All!

No comments: