Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Blog 191: The Ice Dragon

Synopsis of the book from Goodreads
The Ice Dragon is an enchanting tale of courage and sacrifice for young readers and adults by the wildly popular author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Song of Ice and Fire series, George R.R. Martin. Lavish illustrations by acclaimed artist Luis Royo enrich this captivating and heartwarming story of a young girl and her dragon.

In the world of A Song of Ice and Fire the ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.

Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara's home. And only a winter child—and the ice dragon who loved her—could save her world from utter destruction.

My Review
Cover: The cover really give in to what the story is about. The illustrator did a very nice job with the drawings for the cover and really throughout the story.

Things that I liked: I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. I know that George R.R. Martin is famous for the Game of Thrones series, but this is the first book I have read of his. I feel that this was a cute little story. I loved that it was a story about a dragon and this little girl born in winter who could "command" the dragon when others thought it couldn't be done, even if it was in secret. I really did enjoy the illustrations throughout the story. They were really good and they gave a really good visual to the reader to see some of the story as well as read it. This story was a quick little read.

Things that I didn't like: I don't have any complaints on this one.

Overall: I rated this book a 5 out of 5 stars because it was a quick read, and it gives me something to look forward to when I read more of George R.R. Martin's novels.


Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading!

No comments: