Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Blog 175: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Synopsis of the Book (from Goodreads)

 Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.

My Review:
Cover: I love the use of color on the cover. It definitely helped to capture my attention when I was looking for new books to read at the store. I am a visual type person and so anything with color will pop out at me. So this cover did just that. Kudos to the design / marketing team for this book.

Things that I liked: I really liked that this book, because it took a different perspective on death. It was kind of find and it never really hit me that one of the characters was dying until like towards the end of book. I really liked that the author was able to capture three different backgrounds and voices for these characters. I think he did a good job with this. I also really enjoyed the different types of writing throughout the book - parts written in screenplay format, some written through bullet points like in a document, and other parts written in conversation dialogue. 

Things that I didn't like: I have no complaints on this one, I enjoyed it. It was a fun light read.

Overall: Overall, I liked this one and would recommend it to anyone. I rated this book a 5 out of 5 stars.


Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading!


Peace and Love to All!

No comments: