Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Blog 196: In Real Life Graphic Novel

Synopsis of the Book from Goodreads
Anda loves Coarsegold Online, the massively-multiplayer role-playing game where she spends most of her free time. It's a place where she can be a leader, a fighter, a hero. It's a place where she can meet people from all over the world, and make friends. 

But things become a lot more complicated when Anda befriends a gold farmer--a poor Chinese kid whose avatar in the game illegally collects valuable objects and then sells them to players from developed countries with money to burn. This behavior is strictly against the rules in Coarsegold, but Anda soon comes to realize that questions of right and wrong are a lot less straightforward when a real person's real livelihood is at stake. 

From acclaimed teen author (Little BrotherFor the Win) and Boing Boing editor Cory Doctorow and Koko Be Good creator Jen Wang, In Real Life is a perceptive and high-stakes look at adolescence, gaming, poverty, and culture clash.

My Review:
Cover: I really liked this cover. I enjoyed the colors on the cover. And it showing two different perspectives on the different characters.

Things that I liked: I really enjoyed this graphic novel with the storyline that it had. The young girl wanting to play video games online and her mother not really trusting her and the internet community. This happens in real life so it shows one case scenario of how things could happen. The girl ends up finding someone who is in need of serious help. She ends up helping him through various other characters. It is just an awesome read. It shows just what could happen over the internet. You never know what to expect. This graphic novel had a happy ending, and in real life (LOL) this may not always be the case. I did enjoy all of the vibrant colors and everything that was talked about through the dialogue of the characters throughout the graphic novel.

Things that I didn't like: I have no complaints here.

Overall: I gave this graphic novel a 4 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed it. It was a quick read, and I would recommend this to my friends.



Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading.

No comments: