Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Blog 178: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Synopsis of the Book (from Goodreads):
Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.

A groundbreaking work from a master, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark.

My Review:
Note: This is my first read a Neil Gaiman book period.

Cover: The cover is gorgeous. I absolutely love it, and think it explains the story perfectly.

Things that I liked: I really enjoyed the reading of this book. It was a quick little read (of 178 pages). I liked that the words, sentences, and paragraphs were just lyrical at times. I loved that Gaiman crafted this story with mystery and a story of a child's survival. I liked that he took the story and created something could be relatable to others about their childhood. There were some things throughout this story that made me think of my childhood and just how some actions or even words that are said can have effect on your future. I also enjoyed the suspense and mystery throughout the story, even the sense of adventure that was hidden throughout the story. I really enjoyed this read.

Things that I didn't like: I have no complaints here. 

Overall: I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars, and would also highly recommend this to my friends and family.


Thank you for stopping by, if you have read this, please feel free to leave a comment below. Happy Reading!

Peace and Love to All!


No comments: