Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blog 58 - Scarlet by A C Gaughen

Scarlet


Author: A.C.  Gaughen
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 292 pages
Publisher: Walker & Company
Publication date: February 14, 2012
ISBN-13: 9780802723468

About the Book
Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version fill of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Take Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin – whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her – that keeps Scarlet going and makes his fight worth dying for.

My Review
Cover: I like the cover. I honestly thought when I first looked at this book that she was a female version of Robin Hood, like she would be the one to play in the Robin Hood role, but the fact that she is pretending to be a member of Robin Hood's merry men. So but the cover really fits with the story I thought. I really liked it.

What I liked: I liked that the setting and the characters were the same or very similar to other Robin books and movies that I've watched. I really liked how the author had a female main character that is posing as a male character to get away from her past and make a new life for herself. I liked how Scarlet was really Marian in the end, that was a surprise/twist that I wasn't expecting. I also like that the protagonist was a strong willed female. She didn't want to stop fighting just because she was hurt, she wanted to keep going.

What I didn’t like: The only thing that I really had a problem with this story was sometimes the language and/or dialogue was a little weird for me, sometimes I would have to reread it to understand it. Eventually I got used to it for the story but in the beginning half of the book I was having trouble keeping up. Also the ending, wasn't what I expected. For me it seems like it was left open on purpose to prepare us for a sequel. So I'm wondering if it will have a sequel or not.

Overall, I liked it and would recommend it to my friends!

Until next time, Happy Reading!


No comments: