Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blog 95 - The Giver


 

Author: Lois Lowry
Format: Paperback
Pages: 179
Publisher: Random House Children’s Books
Publication date: September 28, 2002
ISBN-13: 9780440237686

About the book
December is the time of the annual Ceremony at which each twelve-year-old receives a life assignment determined by the Elders. Jonas watches his friend Fiona named Caretaker of the Old and his cheerful pal Asher labeled teh Assistant Director of Recreation. But Jonas has been chosen for something special. When his selection leads him to an unnamed man-the man called only the Giver-he begins to sense the dark secrets that underlie the fragile perfection of his world.
Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
My Review
I really enjoyed reading this for my Young Adult Fiction class, and just reading it in general.

Things that I liked: I really enjoyed reading about this world that the author built and how they citizens basically eliminated anything they deemed not safe yet there was one person in the town that had to bear all of the horrible memories of the past. I liked how the author set up the world in a sense that she created a world were the children weren’t children anymore by the age of 12. There was so much detail that I was able to get sucked into the story and I wanted to know what happened next. I didn’t want to put it down to read anything else.

Things I didn’t like: The beginning was a little slow paced for me, and there were spots later on in the story that were slow, but I toughed it out and got through those parts of the story. Other than that, I don’t have any complaints.

Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and I recommend it anyone and everyone. 

 Until Next time, Happy Reading!




No comments: