Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blog 83 - Peter Pan Review

 


Author: J.M. Barrie
Format: Paperback
Pages: 153
Publisher: Dover Publications
Publication Date: 1999
ISBN-13: 9780486407838

About the Book
Peter Pan – a little boy who doesn’t want to grow up – has run off to Never-Never Land where he becomes the leader of a wild tribe of Lost Boys. The amazing fantasy land is also home to Tinker Bell the fairy, the Indian Princess Tiger Lily, and a ragtag bad of pirates led by Peter’s longtime enemy, Captain Hook.

Somewhere along the way, Peter manages to lose his shadow, and while searching for it, meets the Darling children – Wendy, Michael, and John – who immediately become his friends. After a quick lesson in flying, they’re all off to Never-Never Land and one thrilling adventure after another.

Over the years, James M. Barrie’s delightful tale, made even more familiar through Broadway plays, television, and motion pictures, has charmed generations of youngsters. This complete, unabridged edition promises to captivate countless new readers with its timeless appeal.

Unabridged Dover (1999) republication of a standard edition.

My Review
I have always liked the story of Peter Pan, and I even grew up with the Disney version movie, before the movie Hook with Robin Williams came out. Having to read this book for my Young Adult Fiction class, brought back memories, but also put a different perspective on the piece as a whole.

Things I like: The cover I got looks a little more like a cartoon version, but is very well illustrated. I did like reading the book and the adventures. As I was reading through the book, I could see all of the details that went into this book by Mr. J.M. Barrie when he wrote this piece. I loved how he created the story, the characters, the plot, and the adventure throughout the book.

Things that I didn’t like: There wasn’t much that I didn’t like. I know that in the time period of this book being written, books were a privilege and so the wording on some things was for those who had the education and could read the books. But some of the words throughout the book, I’ve never heard of them, so I had to stop and look them up.

Overall: I loved reading this book for my class, and just reading it in general for the memories of Peter Pan and reading the adventures of Peter Pan instead of watching them on the TV.

Until next time, Happy Reading!
 

No comments: