Sunday, May 13, 2012

Blog 49 - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) 

Author: Suzanne Collins
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 374
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Publication date: July 1, 2010
ISBN-13: 9780439023528

About the Book 

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

My Review 
Now when I read, and I find out that it will be turned into a movie, I try to read the book before going to see said movie. That wasn't the case with this one. I went to see the movie first with a group of friends. I hadn't read the book yet. I didn't really the neck pain after the movie, but I enjoyed the movie. I enjoyed the movie so much that it pretty much forced me to read the series in order to see what it was about. I wanted to know what the differences were between the book and the movie. 

I have not read the sequels yet, but I will be picking them up soon to continue the adventures that await. 

Some things that I liked about this book were the characters. Collins created a heroine that kicked ass so to speak. I wasn't sure what to make of Katniss, but then I placed myself in her shoes and her world, and I probably would have done the same thing if I had a sister like Prim. I also enjoyed reading about the capitol and how the city looked, how the people looked with their colorful outfits, and hair & makeup. I also found it interesting that their were 13 districts and it you like about it, it's almost like having the 13 colonies.

Some things that I didn't like were... well I can't think of anything off hand. 

Overall, I liked this series and recommend it to anyone who likes a good read and also like dystopian societies.

Until next time, Happy Reading!
  

No comments: