Monday, May 20, 2013

Blog 124 - Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief


The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1)


Author: Rick Riordan
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 375
Publisher: Hyperion/ Miramax Kid
Publication Date: July 20, 2005
ISBN-13: 9780786856299

About the Book
After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

My Review
Things that I liked: I really loved that this book was about Greek Mythology. I loved that the author (Riordan) used different myths throughout the story and tied them all together as one big story. The story is about a boy named Percy Jackson, who was always getting kicked out of his schools, and was labeled as a bad kid by all of his teachers. With a new school and a new set of friends and teachers, Percy has a whole new problem. He starts noticing things that are different. He has been having nightmares, and then one day mythical creatures are coming after them looking for something they say he stole from the gods. After reaching a summer camp and he finds out who his real father is, he is sent on a quest to clear not only his name but his father’s name as well. I loved every inch of this story. I loved the characters Percy, Grover, Chiron, and Annabeth. I loved that they were had to go on this quest to clear his name but also a side quest to save his mother. I loved the setting of modern day and how the furies, and other “villains” were trying to stop him and/or get him. I believe the author did a great job in writing this story, and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

Things that I didn’t like: I didn’t like that the story was slow-paced at times, but every book has that I guess.

Overall: I enjoyed this book! I give it 5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommend if you like/love Greek Mythology or mythology in general.


Until next time, Happy Reading!

No comments: