Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blog 143 - Review: Substitute Creature


Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #4: Substitute Creature


Author: Charles Gilman
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 171
Publisher: Quirk Publishing
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
ISBN-13: 9781594746406

About the Book
When a giant nor'easter dumps a blanket of snow on the village of Dunwich, Massachusetts, Robert Arthur and his friends find themselves marooned inside Lovecraft Middle School. The kids have no choice but to spend the night - while snacking on cafeteria food, sleeping on classroom floors, and facing off against a mysterious substitute teacher who may have a sinister secret. The latest adventure in the Lovecraft Middle School series features more adventures, more outrageous monsters, and another terrifying lenticular cover!

My Review
Cover: I absolutely love the book covers for this series. They are just so creepy but fun at the same time.

Things that I liked: I really enjoyed reading this book. This is the fourth book in the series, and it picks up right where book three, Teacher's Pest, left off. I love that you are just kind of thrown right into the action within the first couple of chapters and adventure continues. I loved reading about the characters and the choices that they made throughout this book. I never expected some of the twists and turns that were throughout the story. I did like the pictures for this one. The old ones look like baby abominable snowmen waiting to grow up..lol.

Things that I didn't like: I was a little confused about the ending. I don't know if it is going to continue into a fifth book, or if this is the end of the series. I'm curious to know whether or not this is the end of not.

Overall: I really enjoyed reading this book, and I would recommend the series to anyone looking for adventure and creepy creatures lurking about throughout the novel(s). I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. 


Until next time, Happy Reading!!

No comments: