Thursday, March 7, 2013

Blog 108- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater




Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Format: Paperback
Pages: 275
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Publication Date: September 8, 1998
ISBN-13: 9780385333474

About the Book
Eliot Rosewater—drunk, volunteer fireman, and President of the fabulously rich Rosewater Foundation—is about to attempt a noble experiment with human nature . . . with a little help from writer Kilgore Trout. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is Kurt Vonnegut’s funniest satire, an etched-in-acid portrayal of the greed, hypocrisy, and follies of the flesh we are all heir to.

My Review
First off, I would like to say that this was my first ever Kurt Vonnegut book that I’ve read. I have never read one of his books before this. That being said, here’s my review:

Things that I liked: I really liked the characters, especially Eliot Rosewater; he was an eccentric character he was. Whether he was insane or not, he was an interesting character. I believed his character and what was happening to him. I also like the concept and the plot of the story. I could definitely see (and read) that the title was throughout the story itself. I thought that was good and tied everything to together nicely. As I said before this was the first Vonnegut book I read and certainly won’t be my last, but I really enjoyed that Kilgore Trout a character in another one of Vonnegut’s books was mentioned in this book. I like that Vonnegut’s book are interwoven into each other.

Things I didn’t like: The only thing that I really didn’t like in this book was the fact that Vonnegut placed 3 little dots throughout the novel; he would put them in places that I thought were weird. He placed them in the middle of conversations, in the middle of a scenes, etc. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing, but a little annoying at times. But nothing I can do about it right? That was the writer’s choice.

Overall: I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend to others who have not read a Kurt Vonnegut book.


Until next time, Happy Reading!

No comments: