Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Blog 166 - Writing Deadlines

Writing Deadlines are dates in time that set to have a certain project completed to push it forward to the next level in its process.

For example, a writing deadline could be set up so that someone writing a draft of a novel before a certain date in order to finish it and move it to the next level - editing.

Writing deadlines depending on who sets them can be changed and in some cases they may not. I read a lot of author's social media pages that talk about deadlines and how they have to get it done. I have seen people set up calendars with stickers (and I love this idea), I have seen people just simply write their word count for the day on the calendar.

So I wanted to share my deadlines for this year, and what I have planned in hopes that I can create a wonderful lovely support system who will reach out and make sure I'm still on track once in a while. Now I know that this deadline system I'm creating falls mostly on me to complete but little pushes of encouragement are awesome too. Truth be told, it keeps me going when I share a tiny piece of a story and people are asking me why it isn't published yet. I keep going because of that. Because I know that my story is touching people before it is even finished.

So for the year 2016. Here is the deadline dates.

June 30th = deadline for finishing my racing story....I finished the billionth draft for it at the end of April now just editing before passing it to the critique partners. I hope to send this out for submission by end of summer.

July 1st - September 30th = I will be writing the rough draft of another piece I started a tiny bit but didn't develop when I was in my creative writing classes - Reaper High as I call it. This one I know has the potential to become a series but I'm not sure if I could do that. We shall see. For this one because there is magic and death and the ability to walk between two worlds I draw a lot of inspiration from different series with magic in them and been reading stories with Grim Reapers too.

October = While that piece is with my critique partners, I will start taking notes and writing down plot points and characters in order to prepare for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I participate in this every year and this is usually where the majority if not all of my story get started.

November = It's NaNoWriMo time. This is where I take on the challenge to write a novel of 50K words in 30 days. I promise it is doable. You only have to write 1,667 words a day to complete it. I aim to write about 2-3K words a day as to stay ahead just in case I have some issues or I don't write for a day or two because of Thanksgiving. For this month of writing will be my third concept but one that I haven't really put much thought into yet. I have a witch concept that I thought of and would love to write it.

December = December will be my month of editing, possibly writing query letters and sending out submissions and preparing myself for those rejection letters. I know there will be tons of those, but I know that it will be worth it if the story gets accepted at some point. I will also probably preparing for the new year and setting up new deadlines for my writing.

Now all of these deadlines are set up by me, so these are like personal deadlines. These aren't deadlines set up by publishing houses or anything like that. These are my personal deadlines. The deadlines are periods of time that I feel are feasible to make this stuff happen.

That is all for now. Happy Writing!




No comments: