Thursday, December 22, 2011

Blog 26 - The Name of the Star by: Maureen Johnson

    

 
Author: Maureen Johnson
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 372
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Publication Date: 29 September 2011
Isbn-13: 9780399256608

About the book
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
My Review
This was the first book that I read by Maureen Johnson, so I didn’t know what to expect with her writing style. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I love the look of the book cover. The title doesn’t really suggest that it will be about Jack the Ripper but regardless the title started my curiosity and I wanted to know more. In reading this story, I was able to immediately relate to the main character, Aurora “Rory” Deveaux, with her start at a new school having to start the process of making friends all over again. The same day of her arrival is the same day that Jack the Ripper starts his killings all over again, or so it seems. I thought it was great how Maureen Johnson wrote the story and was able to capture the panic of the students of Wexford, and how she created the murders of Jack the Ripper. I really enjoyed the book, although there was one part of the book that freaked me out a little bit. I had watched an episode of Dexter the day before and they were talking about the Doomsday Killer and a lot of the killings where from the book of Revelation and they made mention of Wormwood. When I read that section of the book, it freaked me out that I had to put the book down and do something else for a while. But my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know what was going to happen next, so needless to say I couldn’t stay away from the book for too long. I picked it right back up and finished reading the book to the end. I would highly recommend this book to any one of my friends who are looking for a good read.     

No comments: